Wednesday, April 5, 2017

清明时节雨纷纷

Two days ago, we all sat by the kitchen table eating our last meal of the weekend and trying not to think about the coming week of working/ school days. 
Looking forward to the weather can always be an exception. Zimo swiped through his phone and said, " we are getting lots of rain on Tuesday. " 
"Is it guaranteed to rain on Qingming?" I shook my head in disbelieve. 
"It's always gloomy and grey on that day." Erman said
We were both surprised. Not only because she knows the thing but also the as-a-matter-of-fact way she said it. 
She made me think more about the name of this special day.
"It is called Clear and Bright, but..." 
"The actual day is the opposite. " she finished my sentence. "Is it the day you go and sweep the tomb stone?" she asked. 
Then I remembered I had told her about the memorial ceremonies a long time ago. I'd probably cited her the famous poem about Qingming. 
She didn't ask me what we were supposed to eat on this day. ( She memories Chinese festivals by each traditional food.) She probably knew that the pig, cow and lamb are sacrifices. 

I took a day off work today but still got up early this morning. Breakfast was ready when Zimo and Erman got down stairs. The aroma of coffee and crepe wafted through the kitchen made me feel warm and cozy even though it was raining outside. 
I looked through the patio door. The recent warm temperature and rain had melted most of the snow. Only a patch of white left in a small shady area at the corner of the fence. Pretty soon the crocuses would come out and after that the backyard would burst into bloom of the colors of the rainbow. After all "April rains bring May Flowers".